Dave Doogan MP is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to join his Angus constituency team. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a small and dedicated office supporting Dave’s work on behalf of the constituents of Angus.
Working for: Dave Doogan, MP for Angus
Job Title: Communications Officer
Hours: 40 hours
Location: Working from Arbroath office, however remote/hybrid working may be considered.
The role offers hands on experience in communications including social media and media relations, as well as assisting Dave in his parliamentary duties especially in relation to organising and attending meetings, and diary management. The Angus office is a fast-paced, supportive environment to work in. The successful candidate will have previous social media communications experience ideally in a political or Public Relations setting.
· Management and development of the external communication presence of the MP office
· Establish, monitor and update a social media and online presence in the constituency, including producing graphics and video content, as well as publicising surgeries and news alerts etc.
· Manage and monitor social media enquiries, dealing with cases that do not need to be transferred to a higher level. Ensure all enquiries are dealt with in a timely manner
· Monitor social media activity and report any relevant trends to the MP and other staff
· Routinely monitor local, regional and national media coverage and brief the MP on relevant issues
· Liaise with media, prepare press releases as required (on constituency, non-party political matters) and meet deadlines as appropriate
· Maintain website and update when necessary
· Research local, regional or national issues to support MP’s work
· Diary management including organising meetings and surgeries
· Assist with surgeries and other meetings and follow up as appropriate
· Assist with casework as required
· Provide generalist admin support
· Engage confidentially, professionally, with care and integrity with members of the public, government bodies, charities and organisations through telephone enquiries, social media, email and face to face
· Compile briefing packs for MP, take notes of meetings and draft appropriate submissions of written parliamentary questions, early day motions etc
· Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed
· Retain records and information confidentiality and in line with the Data Protection Act
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, paying attention to detail
· Confident using video editing software and graphic design software
· Ability to manage social media
· Experience in dealing with the public
· Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships
· Ability to prioritise tasks and work effectively in a busy office
· Experience working in a high-pressure environment
· Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Scottish National Party
· Good knowledge of the Scottish and Westminster political environments
· Constituency office experience
· Driving licence
There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outsides of the normal working hours and travel for work occasionally.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info.
How to Apply: Please send a one-page cover letter and your CV to: Dave.Doogan.firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Parliamentary Assistant Application”.
The interview process will include a short, timed task to give the applicant an opportunity to showcase their skill and experience in social media and communications. The task will consist of creating a graphic on a topic to be designated on the day. Applicants will also be required to draft a press release on an issue to be identified in advance of the interview.
If you have any questions about the job or the application process, please do get in touch and we’ll be more than happy to answer any queries. You can email Dave.Doogan.email@example.com or call 01241 815 330 with any questions.
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace and would encourage individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Closing Date: 9am on Friday 8th December 2023
Interview Date: Wednesday 20th / Thursday 21st December 2023